Kindle, A New Way To Read

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Debut!


Lisa McMann, Mesa Arizona, Debut Book: Wake (Simon Pulse)

Wake is a paranormal novel for teens. Janie, 17, gets sucked into other people’s dreams, including the sometimes frightening, revealing dreams of a secretive boy.”

Writing Habits
: “I write when my kids are at school. If I’m in the middle of something good, I’ll keep going as long as I can. Sometimes I wake up at 3a.m. with an idea, so I write then, too.

How Did You Get Your Break?: “I did tons of research on literary agents and sent out a flurry of queries. Apparently, one landed on the right desk. Three months later my agent had competing offers for Wake and its sequel.”

Time Frame:Wake couldn’t have gone any faster. From the first word typed to publication day was 20 months.”

Secret To Success: “Consistency. And dreaming about what happens next.”

Advice: “Toughen up. Don’t be needy. Listen to feedback. Focus.”

Influences: “Madeline L’Engle was a big influence on me. I was lucky enough to have dinner with her in my early 20s and she was very encouraging.”

Weird Hobbies: “I collect unusual hats my kids won’t let me wear in public. I also grow avocado trees under my kitchen sink.

What’s Next?:
Wake’s sequel, Fade.”

From Writer's Digest April '08